Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Share a favourite healthy snack

I am the type of person who does not feel full unless I've had something sweet. I looove to eat plain yogurt with granola, sliced up banana and chocolate chips (don't judge until you've tried it!) And normally when I have this snack, I have a heaping bowl full of it. So, knowing that granola is very sweet and full of sugar, I've decided to make my own. I have decided not to completely deprive myself of the chocolate chips either and have decided to have 10 chips only, as opposed to the handful or generous sprinkling I would normally reward myself with.
I haven't tried to make the granola yet, but that is my goal for this weekend.
My goals for my snack:
1) have only 1 cup
2) only 10 chocolate chips
3) use homemade granola to reduce sugar content
4) don't sneak any more chocolate chips in there than the alloted 10!

Here is the recipe I will use as a guide, but not follow to the letter.


5 cups (1.25 L) rolled oats
1 cup (250 mL) raw wheat germ
1/2 cup (125 mL) sunflower seeds
1 cup (250 mL) flaxseeds
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
3/4 cup (175 mL) honey
1/4 cup (50 mL) coconut oil (or canola oil)
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
1/2 cup (125 mL) cold water
1 cup (250 mL) pitted dates, cut into small pieces
2 cups (500 mL) dried cranberries
1 cup (250 mL) raisins
Preheat oven to 300F and set the oven rack in the middle.
In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and cinnamon. In a smaller glass bowl, combine honey and coconut oil, then warm in microwave or on stovetop until liquid. Add vanilla and water. Add wet mixture to the dry, stirring until crumbly. Spread onto a 13-by-18-inch baking sheet.
Bake for 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes and rotating pan to compensate for any hot spots in the oven. Remove from oven and cool. Transfer to a large bowl, and add pitted dates, dried cranberries and raisins. Store granola in airtight containers and refrigerate for future use.


Share a healthy snack that you've tried or want to try in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment